Chapter 1: Prepare a virtual machine for FreeDOS in VirtualBox
Chapter 2: Special settings for FreeDOS
Chapter 3: Connect the FreeDOS install CD
Chapter 4: Install FreeDOS
Chapter 5: Install the network
Chapter 6: Mount the FreeDOS image to transfer files
Chapter 7: FTP between host and guest
Bugs: High CPU usage of FreeDOS machine
Bugs: FreeDOS crashes at boot
Bugs: ICH9 chipset breaks networking
Bugs: Old bugs
- Install VirtualBox (if you haven't already). It can be found here.
- Download FreeDOS. The CD-ROM standard installer (FD12CD.ISO for FreeDOS 1.2) works fine with VirtualBox. Save this file on your computer.
Add a new FreeDOS virtual machine
- Run VirtualBox and click "New".
- Give your Virtual Machine a name.
- Select the amount of memory. The default of 32 MB is fine for me.
- Create a virtual hard disk.
- Select the format of the virtual hard disk. Choose VHD to be able to mount the image as an external disk in Windows or macOS.
- Choose if the size of your disk should be dynamically allocated. FreeDOS works fine with that.
- Give the virtual disk a name and select the size of the harddisk.
- The new FreeDOS virtual machine is added to your list of virtual machines.
Continue with Chapter 2